What are some of the top tips and important questions you need to know or ask about yachting? Simpson Marine compiled a compact sheet of five things you need to know about yachting today from each of our offices. Read on to find out more.
Simon Theseira, Malaysia Country Manager
- Cruising Asia is now very safe, especially in the east and west coast of Malaysia, including Langkawi and the waters off the Butan group of islands. With better communication, yachting is much safer.
- There are a lot of marinas along the east and west coast of Malaysia that can accommodate all your yachting needs. Currently, marinas are in the states of Terengganu, Pulau Tioman, Johor, Negeri Sembilan, Selangor, Perak, Penang and Kedah. On the east coast of Sabah and Sarawak, marinas are available in Miri, Labuan and Kota Kinabalu.
- Yachting is not only for the elite. You can go cruising for as low as RM200,000, which can allow you to buy a 35-foot second-hand sailboat.
- Currently Malaysia enjoys no tax on yachts.
- If you own a yacht in Europe, you could pay huge numbers in berthing. Malaysia has low berthing rates compared to our neighbours in Thailand and Singapore.